LAOAG CITY– A 36-year-old overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who returned from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia tested positive of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) 20 days after his arrival in Pudtol, Apayao.
The new case is asymptomatic and currently isolated in a barangay patient care center just a few blocks away from his home.
The latest confirmed case is the second in the municipality and 17th in the province.
Everyday, the patient gets to talk to his children, siblings, and parents but only via video call on Messenger.
Counting the days that he had been in isolation, he said he feels blessed that he is home and doing well unlike some of his fellow OFWs in Saudi who succumbed to Covid-19 infection.
"I feel strong and nothing to worry. Back in Saudi, there had been many of us who were infected and they were only brought to the hospital when they are dying,” he said in a video call with the Philippine News Agency on Tuesday.
He said he gets to order food that he likes and some friends and relatives also see him from afar when they bring him fresh fruits or cooked food for lunch, dinner, or snacks.
But since he was confirmed positive of Covid-19 on Monday afternoon, the entire village was placed on temporary lockdown and the municipal border controls are strictly being monitored.
All residents are advised to stay home, observe social distancing, wear a face mask, and practice proper hygiene at all times.
“We call on the residents of Pudtol to maintain calm and sobriety amid this unfortunate development as the Provincial Covid-19 task force and the municipal local government of Pudtol will undertake contact tracing and other initiatives to prevent further transmission,” said an advisory posted on the official Facebook page of the provincial government led by Governor Eleanor Bulut-Begtang. (PNA)